|2 (14 ounce) cans||Pastene Black Beans, drained, rinsed, and patted dry|
|1 ½ cups||Pastene Italian Flavored Bread Crumbs or Pastene Plain Bread Crumbs|
|1 Tbsp||Pastene Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|¾ cup (½ pepper)||bell pepper, any color, finely chopped|
|1 cup (½ onion)||yellow onion, finely chopped|
|1 Tbsp||Pastene Minced Garlic|
|1 ½ tsp||ground cumin|
|1 tsp||chili powder|
|½ tsp||garlic powder|
|¼ tsp||smoked paprika|
|½ cup||feta cheese|
|1 Tbsp||Worcestershire sauce|
|2 Tbsp||ketchup, mayo, or BBQ sauce|
|salt and pepper to taste|
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread beans evenly onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until slightly dried out.
- Meanwhile, sauté olive oil, chopped pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat until peppers and onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes. Gently blot some of the moisture out.
- Place in a large bowl or in a food processor with the remaining ingredients (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, bread crumbs, cheese, eggs, Worcestershire, ketchup, salt, and pepper).
- Stir or pulse everything together, then add the black beans. Mash with a fork or pulse the mixture, leaving some larger chunks of beans.
- Form into patties– about 1/3 cup of mixture in each.
- To bake: Place patties on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake at 375°F (191°C) for 10 minutes on each side, 20 minutes total. To grill: Place patties on greased aluminum foil and grill eight minutes on each side. Heat temperature is a personal preference as all grills differ. Generally, black bean burgers should grill on medium-high heat about 350°F.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.