|2 cups||Pastene Arborio Rice|
|1 (2oz) jar||Pastene Pignoli (pine nuts)|
|6½ cups||low-sodium vegetable broth|
|1 Tbsp||Pastene Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|4||garlic cloves, thinly sliced|
|½ tsp||ground turmeric|
|4 Tbsp||unsalted butter, divided|
|4½ cups||basil leaves, loosely packed, torn into 1" pieces|
|kosher salt to taste|
|freshly ground cracked pepper to taste|
|Pastene Hot Crushed Peppers, optional|
|Pastene Grated Parmesan Cheese (for topping)|
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt two tablespoons of unsalted butter. Add arborio rice and increase heat to medium-high. Stir while cooking, until the grains are partially translucent, about 2 minutes. Add 2 cups broth and bring to a rapid simmer, stirring often. Add another 2 cups broth and bring to a simmer again, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium and add another 2 cups broth. Cook, stirring often until broth has slowly come back to a simmer. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until broth is almost completely absorbed but rice is covered with a thick layer of milky broth, about 20 minutes.
- Chef’s note: If the rice is still too firm you can add another ½ cup broth or ½ cup of dry white wine and continue to cook until tender, about 3 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, cook sliced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, and pine nuts, stirring occasionally until garlic starts to turn golden around the edges. Once the garlic is lightly golden, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook until pine nuts and garlic are golden but not burnt, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in turmeric and season with pepper.
- Chef’s note: If you like spice, you can add hot crushed pepper for an extra kick.
- As soon as the rice is tender, remove the pan from heat and stir in the remaining butter, and season with salt. About two minutes before serving, stir basil into risotto.
- Ladle risotto into shallow bowls and top with prepared garlic/pine nut oil and Parmesan cheese. Squeeze juice from lemon halves over top, then grind some more pepper on top. Serve immediately.