|16 oz||Pastene Capellini (or Spaghetti)|
|3 Tbsp||Pastene Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1||lemon juice with zest|
|½ tsp||red pepper flakes|
|1 package||Pastene Anchovy Fillets|
|½ jar||Pastene Capers, rinsed|
|3 Tbsp||fresh parsley or basil, chopped|
|¼ cup||Pastene Pignoli|
|salt and pepper to taste|
Prep time: 5-10 minutes | Cook time: 20-25 minutes
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots, lemon zest, red pepper flakes and salt. Cook until the shallots are soft and translucent.
- Add the anchovies and capers to the pan. Sauté for about 2 minutes until warmed through, breaking up the sardines into smaller pieces as you cook.
- When the sardines begin to turn golden, slowly stir in the fresh lemon juice. Turn heat to lowest setting to keep warm while you cook your pasta. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving a cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Add the cooked pasta and fresh chopped parsley or basil to the pan with the sauce (alternatively, you can put the pasta back in the large pasta pot and pour the sauce over it). Toss pasta to evenly coat with sauce, mixing well with the other ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Add pignoli directly into pasta. If the pasta seems too dry, add a little of the reserved pasta cooking water, 1 tbsp at a time, to loosen it a bit. The sauce should be light and the noodles lightly coated with oil.
Add additional salt, lemon or chili pepper flakes to taste, if desired.
- Serve hot and enjoy.