|8 oz||Pastene Capellini (or Spaghetti)|
|6 tbsp||Pastene Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1/4 cup||shallots, minced|
|2 tsp||lemon zest|
|1/2 tsp||crushed red pepper flakes - use more or less to taste|
|1 package||Pastene Sardines|
|3 tbsp||Pastene Capers, rinsed|
|5 tbsp||lemon juice|
|3 tbsp||fresh parsley or basil, chopped|
- Set a large pot of water over high heat to boil (this will be your pasta cooking water). Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Once the olive oil is hot, add the shallots, lemon zest, crushed red pepper and salt. Cook until the shallots are soft and translucent (careful, don’t let them burn!).
- Add the sardines and capers to the pan. Saute for about 2 minutes until warmed through, breaking up the sardines into smaller pieces as you sauté.
- When the sardines begin to turn golden, slowly stir in the fresh lemon juice. Turn heat to lowest setting to keep warm while you cook your pasta. When pasta water boils, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving a cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Add the cooked pasta and fresh chopped parsley or basil to the pan with the sauce (alternatively, you can put the pasta back in the large pasta pot and pour the sauce over it). Toss pasta to evenly coat with sauce, mixing well with the other ingredients. If the pasta seems too dry, add a little of the reserved pasta cooking water, 1 tbsp at a time, to loosen it a bit. It should not be thick or heavy, and the noodles should be lightly coated with oil.
Add additional salt, lemon or chili pepper flakes to taste, if desired. Serve hot.