|1 lb||Ground beef|
|2 (28 oz) cans||Pastene San Marzano D.O.P Tomatoes or Pastene San Marzano Style Tomatoes|
|1 (6oz) can||Pastene Tomato Paste|
|1 lb||sweet Italian sausage|
|2 Tbsp||Pastene Extra Virgin Olive Oil (if needed)|
|2 Tbsp||Pastene Minced Garlic|
|2 tsp||dried oregano|
|1||large white onion, diced finely|
|1 cup||red wine|
|1||lemon juice (if needed)|
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and brown well. Use a large slotted spoon to break up the meat as you turn and brown all sides. Remove ground meat to a medium-sized bowl.
- Add sweet Italian Sausage to the pot and cook until browned. Continue to use a large slotted spoon to break up the meat as you continue to turn and brown it on all sides. Remove the browned Italian sausage to the bowl containing the ground meat.
- Check the pot to see if there is enough oil from the meat to properly cook the aromatics. If there is very little or no fat, add two tablespoons of olive oil to the pot.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add onions. Cook until translucent then add in minced garlic.
- Add the oregano, basil, salt and pepper, and continue to cook and stir until garlic and herbs are fragrant. Push these aromatics to one side of the pot. Increase heat to medium and add red wine. Stir and scrape remaining fond from bottom of the pot and cook gently for 2 to 3 minutes until alcohol has burned off and mixture is slightly reduced.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste to pot. Stir well.
- Bring the sauce to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally. Skim foam, if necessary. After simmering for an hour, taste sauce and add lemon juice and additional salt if needed. Continue to simmer for 1 more hour.
- Sauce is then ready to be served or stored. To store, cool to room temperature (about 1 hour and refrigerate promptly).
- Serve over your favorite Pastene pasta or on a sandwich.