|4 Tbsp||unsalted butter, cut into pieces|
|1||large onion, finely chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Pastene Minced Garlic|
|1½ tsp||ground cumin|
|3||Pastene Chipotle Peppers in Adobo, finely chopped|
|2||14oz cans Pastene Black Beans, drained and rinsed|
|1¾ tsp||kosher salt|
|1 Tbsp||Pastene Apple Cider Vinegar|
|Queso and assembly:|
|2 tsp||adobo sauce from the chipotle peppers can|
|½ tsp||ground cumin|
|¼ tsp||kosher salt, plus more to taste|
|4 oz||American cheese, 5 slices torn|
|4 oz||monterey jack cheese, coarsely grated|
|2||ripe avocados, cut into ½ " pieces|
|1 Tbsp||fresh lime juice|
|¼ cup||sour cream|
|½ cup||quality salsa, strained if juicy|
|¼ cup||Pastene Sliced Jalapeño Peppers|
|4||scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced|
|¼ cup||cilantro coarsely chopped|
|tortilla chips and lime wedges for serving|
- Melt butter in a medium deep skillet over medium heat. Cook 1 large onion, finely chopped, stirring often, until tender and translucent, 8 to 12 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and continue to cook, stirring often, until onion is pale golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic and 1½ tsp. ground cumin to skillet. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add 3 the chipotle peppers, beans, and 1¾ tsp. kosher salt.
- Pour in 1 cup water and bring to a simmer, mashing beans with a potato masher until mostly smooth. Cook, stirring often, until most of liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Beans should be risotto-like in consistency, loose enough to fall off a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar. Cover and keep warm.
- To make the queso, whisk 2 tsp. adobo sauce, ½ tsp. ground cumin, ¼ tsp. kosher salt, and ½ cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the American cheese and cook, whisking vigorously, just until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, add Monterey Jack, and whisk until cheese is melted and queso is smooth.
- Gently toss the avocados with 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice and a large pinch of salt in a medium bowl.
- Uncover beans and pour queso over. Top with ¼ cup sour cream, followed by ½ cup salsa, avocados, and ¼ cup sliced pickled jalapeños. Scatter scallions and cilantro over the top and serve dip warm in skillet with tortilla chips and lime wedges.