|16 oz||Pastene Italian Shells|
|1 ½ tsp||red pepper flakes|
|freshly ground pepper to taste|
|½ cup||all purpose flour|
|16 oz||extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated and divided|
|1||4 oz jar Pastene Pimentos, excess juice drained|
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- Combine milk, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Do not boil.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add flour, whisk well. Cook 5 minutes.
- Gradually add to hot milk mixture, stirring until smooth and thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add 12 ounces of the cheese and all of the pimentos with a little juice to sauce and whisk until cheese is melted.
- Combine pasta and sauce and spoon into a 5 to 6-quart baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir, sprinkle with remaining 4 ounces cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes.