|1 ½ Tbsp||kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste|
|1 ¼ cups||kasha (buckwheat groats)|
|8 Tbsp||Pastene Extra Virgin Olive Oil divided, plus more as needed|
|6 cups||yellow onions, chopped|
|freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|10 oz||baby bella mushrooms, thickly sliced, about 3½ cups|
|8 oz||Pastene Italian Farfalle|
|2 tsp||Pastene Minced Garlic|
|¾ cup||flat-leaf parsley, chopped|
|¼ cup||chives, chopped|
- Heat the oven to 375° F.
- Set a large pot of water over high heat. Add 1½ tablespoons salt, until it’s very salty. Bring to a boil. Add the kasha and adjust the heat to establish a steady boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 to 12 minutes, until the kasha is just tender, not mushy. Place a colander over a large bowl to drain the kasha and reserve the water. Put the water back into the pot and keep the water warm on the stove.
- Meanwhile, heat a very large skillet over medium heat. Pour in 4 tablespoons of oil. When the oil shimmers, add the onions. season with salt and black pepper to taste.. Cook, stirring on medium low heat as needed, for about 40 minutes, until caramelized.
- Place the sliced mushrooms and 3 tablespoons of oil in a bowl and toss. On a rimmed sheet pan, arrange the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 20-25 minutes, until deeply browned.
- Return the pot of water to a boil. When the onions and mushrooms are almost done, add the pasta to the water. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes, until just al dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water, drain pasta and add to the skillet with the onions.
- Add the mushrooms, kasha, and garlic to the skillet and toss to combine. Add a splash of pasta water and a tablespoon of olive oil to loosen up the mixture, Season with salt and pepper. Add most of the herbs and toss to combine. Sprinkle the remaining herbs on top and serve.