|2 Tbsp||Pastene Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1||medium white or yellow onion, diced|
|½ tsp||fine sea salt|
|½ tsp||black pepper|
|1 Tbsp||Pastene Minced Garlic|
|1-2 tsp||red pepper flakes|
|1 ½ tsp||Italian seasoning|
|2 Tbsp||Pastene Tomato Paste|
|1||28 oz can Pastene Kitchen Ready Tomatoes|
|1 cup||dry white wine|
|3 lbs||mussels, cleaned and de-bearded|
|¼ cup||Italian parsley, roughly chopped|
Prep time: 35 minutes | Cook time: 60 minutes
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, salt, and pepper, and cook until onion is soft but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and then fill the 28 oz can halfway up with water and add that along with the wine and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce can be made ahead to this point, store covered in the refrigerator for up to several days.
- Add the mussels and cook, covered for 4-5 minutes or until the mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Using a slotted spoon, divide the mussels between 4 soup bowls then ladle in the sauce. Garnish with the parsley and serve.
Recipe by Gluten Free and More Magazine