|1||small yellow onion, finely chopped|
|1 tsp||Pastene Minced Garlic|
|1 tsp||Pastene Hot Crushed Peppers, optional|
|1 ½ cups||whole milk or half and half|
|1||28 oz can Pastene Tomato Puree|
|2 cups||fresh spinach|
|Pastene Grated Parmesan Cheese|
|¼ cup||basil, roughly chopped|
|salt and pepper to taste|
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. For a little added heat, add hot crushed peppers.
- Stir in milk or half and half and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tomato puree, mix well, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 2 minutes. Spinach should barely be wilted.
- Serve warm or hot topped with parmesan cheese and basil for garnish.