|2||large eggplants, about 1½ pounds each|
|6 Tbsp||Pastene Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1 ½ tsp||kosher salt, divided|
|1 tsp||pepper, divided|
|¼ cup||Pastene Italian Flavored Breadcrumbs|
|1 cup||whole-milk ricotta cheese|
|½ cup||Pastene Grated Romano Cheese, plus more for garnish|
|¼ cup||fresh basil, chopped, plus more for garnish|
|1 ½ Tbsp||lemon juice|
|1||16 oz jar Pastene Autentico Harvest Vegetable Sauce|
- Select shorter, wider eggplants. Slice each eggplant lengthwise into ½” thick planks, about 12 in total. Trim the rounded surface from each end piece so it lies flat.
- Adjust 1 oven rack to lower-middle position and second rack 8 inches from broiler element. Heat oven to 375º F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and spray generously with oil spray.
- Arrange eggplant slices in single layer on prepared sheets. Brush 1 side of eggplant slices with 3 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Flip eggplant slices and brush with 3 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bake until tender and lightly browned, 30 to 35 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using thin spatula, flip each slice over.
- Change the oven setting broil. Spread the sauce over the bottom of a large oven safe skillet.
- Combine breadcrumbs, ricotta, ½ cup romano, ¼ cup basil, lemon juice, and ½ teaspoon salt in medium bowl.
- With widest ends of eggplant slices facing you, evenly distribute ricotta mixture on bottom third of each slice. Gently roll up each eggplant slice and place seam side down in sauce.
- Bring sauce to simmer over medium heat on the stovetop for about 5 minutes. Transfer skillet to oven and broil until eggplant is well browned and cheese is heated through, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with additional romano cheese and let stand for 5 minutes. Top with chopped basil and serve.