|¼ cup||Pastene Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1 ½ cups||Pastene Italian Flavored Bread Crumbs|
|1 cup||Pastene Grated Parmesan Cheese|
|1 tsp||Italian seasoning|
|½ tsp||freshly ground black pepper|
|2||24 oz jars Pastene Chateau Marinara Sauce|
|2 tsp||Pastene Minced Garlic|
|2 tsp||Pastene Hot Crushed Peppers|
|1 cup||Mozarella, shredded|
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 55-60 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Coat each of the following with 1 tablespoon of olive oil: two rimmed baking sheets and a 9 x 13” baking dish.
- Cut the eggplant into ½ inch slices.
- Whisk the eggs and water and place in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, place the breadcrumbs, ½ cup cheese and the Italian seasoning. Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture first and then place in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing to make sure the breadcrumbs adhere.
- Place the coated eggplant slices on the baking sheets. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the eggplant slices and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, flip the eggplant, rotate the pans and bake for another 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper while eggplant is hot.
- Place two jars of marinara sauce in a bowl, reserving ½ cup for the bottom of the baking dish. Combine the sauce, minced garlic and peppers in a bowl.
- Spread the ½ cup of reserved sauce in the bottom of the baking dish and place one layer of eggplant on top of sauce. Estimate how many layers needed based on the volume of eggplant left and divide the sauce and cheese accordingly.
- For each remaining layer, add the sauce, garlic and pepper mixture to lightly cover the eggplant and sprinkle with a portion parmesan and mozzarella and repeat.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes and serve.