|2 tsp||kosher salt|
|2 tsp||black pepper|
|2 Tbsp||Pastene Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1||yellow onion, chopped|
|4 oz||cremini mushrooms, stemmed|
|2||medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped|
|3 tsp||Pastene Minced Garlic|
|3 Tbsp||Pastene Tomato Paste|
|1||28 oz can Pastene Kitchen Ready No Salt Tomatoes|
|2 cups||low-sodium beef broth|
|1 cup||red wine|
Prep time: 15-20 minutes | Cook time: 2 1/2 hours
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add lamb and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Work in batches, as necessary. Remove the lamb to a plate.
- In the same Dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, carrots and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more, then add tomato paste and stir until vegetables are coated.
- Pour in broth and tomato sauce and then add the lamb shanks. Add rosemary and bring to a boil. Cover and transfer to oven. Cook for 2 hours until lamb shanks are completely tender.
- Remove lamb from the Dutch oven and place on a large cutting board or baking sheet. Tent with foil to keep warm. Discard rosemary.
- Return pot to stove over medium heat. Add wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until thickened, 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Serve lamb with mashed potatoes and spoon sauce on top.