|3||chicken breasts with skin and backbone, halved|
|½ cup||all-purpose flour, for dredging|
|3 Tbsp||Pastene Pure Olive Oil|
|½||7 oz jar Pastene Roasted Peppers, chopped|
|1||large white onion, diced|
|1 Tbsp||Pastene Minced Garlic|
|¾ cup||dry white wine|
|1||14 oz can Pastene Italian Peeled Tomatoes with juice|
|¾ cup||low-sodium chicken broth|
|3 Tbsp||Pastene Capers, drained|
|1 ½ tsp||dried oregano|
|¼ cup||fresh basil, coarsely chopped|
|Pastene Grated Parmesan Cheese (for topping)|
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 60 minutes
- Season the chicken with a teaspoon of salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour to lightly coat.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes per side. If all the chicken does not fit in the pan, sauté it in 2 batches.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the roasted red pepper, onion and garlic to the same pan and sauté over medium heat until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juice, broth, capers and oregano. Return the chicken pieces to the pan and turn them to coat in the sauce. Bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Continue simmering over medium-low heat until the chicken is just cooked through (internal temp. of 165°), about 30 minutes for the breast pieces, and 20 minutes for the thighs.
- Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a platter. If necessary, boil the sauce until it thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Spoon off any excess fat from atop the sauce. Spoon the sauce over the chicken, then sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and basil.