|3 ½ cups||fresh basil leaves|
|salt to taste|
|¼ cup||Pastene Pignoli|
|⅔ cup||Pastene Grated Parmesan|
|3 oz||Pastene Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1 lb||Pastene Lasagne Festonate|
|3 ½ cups||green beans, cut into 1" pieces|
|½ cup||Pastene Grated Romano Cheese|
|½ cup||Pastene Grated Parmesan Cheese|
|⅓ cup||freshly grated parmesan, top layer only|
|salt, for pasta water|
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes
For the pesto:
- In a food processor, combine the basil, garlic, pine nuts, and salt, and pulse until the mixture forms a paste. Add the cheese, and drizzle in the olive oil as you continue to pulse the food processor.
For the Béchamel:
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter until it has melted. Add the flour and stir until the consistency is smooth. Over medium heat, continue to cook until the mixture turns a light golden brown, about 6-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a separate pan until it is just about to boil. Add the milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously, until it is very smooth and begins to bubble. Cook the sauce for 30 seconds and then remove it from the heat. Season the béchamel with salt and nutmeg, to taste and set aside until ready to use.
For the Lasagna:
- Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt. Boil the green beans for 1 minute, remove with a slotted spoon and place them in an ice bath. Cut into 1” pieces.
- Use the same boiling water, drop in the pasta and cook until al dente, about 12 minutes. Transfer to an ice bath to cool, drain and lay pasta flat on kitchen towels to prevent sticking.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the béchamel, pesto, and grated cheese together until they are well combined. Place 4 pieces of lasagna on the bottom of the baking dish.
- On top of the pasta, place the following: ½ cup of the pesto-béchamel-cheese mixture and a handful of green beans before adding another layer of the pasta. Continue with this layering until there are 4 layers of pasta and 4 layers of green beans and pesto. Lay one more layer of pasta on top, followed by a 1/4-1/2 cup of pesto mixture and 1/3 cup of freshly grated parmesan. Put the baking dish in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!