|Pastene Extra Virgin Olive Oil
|2 ½ lbs
|beef stew meat, cut into 2” pieces
|large onion, cut into quarters
|whole cipollini onions, peeled
|sliced crimini mushrooms
|Pastene Minced Garlic
|Pastene Tomato Paste
|frozen block The Hale Life beef bone broth or 2 cups bone broth of your choice
|medium carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
|sprigs fresh thyme
|sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 6 – 8 hours
- Pat the beef with a paper towel and season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Heat 3 Tbsp butter and oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the stew beef to the skillet. Brown the beef in two batches being sure not to crowd the pan so the beef browns properly. Brown on all sides removing to a plate when done. Add beef to the slow cooker.
- Add the onions to the same skillet. Cook until they are softened and have some color. Add the onions to the slow cooker. To the empty skillet, add the remaining butter, mushrooms, garlic, and tomato paste and sauté until the mushrooms are soft and browned. Add to slow cooker.
- Increase the heat on the skillet to medium high and add the wine and bone broth. With a wooden spoon, scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the skillet for added flavor.
- Add wine/bone broth, carrots, thyme, bay leaves, and salt and pepper to taste to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Serve over pasta, rice or polenta.