|3 Tbsp||butter plus 1 Tbsp for tossing the pasta|
|1 Tbsp||Pastene Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|½ cup||onion, chopped|
|⅔ cup||carrot, chopped|
|⅔ cup||celery, chopped|
|¾ lb||ground beef chuck|
|1 cup||whole milk|
|1 cup||dry white wine|
|1||14 oz can Pastene Italian Peeled Tomatoes, with juice|
|salt and pepper|
|1 lb||Pastene Pappardelle or Mafaldine|
|Pastene Grated Parmesan Cheese for topping|
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 3 hours
- On medium heat in a large saucepan or dutch oven, add olive oil, butter and chopped onion. Stir until onion becomes translucent and then add the celery and carrot. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add ground beef, a large pinch of salt and a few grindings of pepper. Crumble the meat with a fork, stir well and cook until the beef has browned.
- Add milk and let it simmer gently, stirring frequently, until it has been absorbed. add in a pinch of nutmeg.
- Add wine and simmer until it has mostly evaporated, then add the tomatoes. Stir thoroughly to coat all ingredients and break up the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon. When the tomatoes begin to bubble, turn the heat down so that the sauce cooks at a low simmer, with just an intermittent bubble breaking through to the surface.
- Cook, uncovered, for 2.5 to 3 hours, stirring from time to time. If the liquid reduces before the meat is completely tender, add an extra ½ cup water and continue cooking. At the end, however, no water should be left and the fat must separate from the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss with your favorite pasta, adding a tablespoon of butter, and serve with grated parmesan cheese.