|4-5 cups||chicken broth|
|2 Tbsp||unsalted butter|
|6 oz||spicy Italian sausage, casing removed|
|¾ cup||sweet onion, chopped|
|1 cup||red peppers, diced|
|1 ½ cup||Pastene Arborio Rice|
|¾ cup||dry white wine|
|½ cup||Pastene Grated Parmesan Cheese|
|salt and pepper to taste|
|2 cups||Pastene Italian Flavored Bread Crumbs|
|flour, for dredging|
|vegetable oil for frying|
|basil for garnish|
|1||24 oz jar Pastene Château Marinara Sauce|
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes
To make the risotto:
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce heat to low.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add sausage and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add chopped onion, pepper and arborio rice. Stir for 1 minute.
- Next, add wine to deglaze the pan and simmer until wine has almost evaporated. Add ½ cup of hot broth and stir until liquid absorbed. Continue adding ½ cups of broth, stirring constantly. Allow each ½ cup broth to absorb before adding more. Stir rice until creamy, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and add parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Cool in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the arancini
To make the arancini:
- In your cupped hand, place a scoop of risotto and flatten. Place a tablespoon of shredded mozzarella in the center of the cupped rice. Next, close the rice around the mozzarella and shape into a ball.
- Roll the ball of risotto in flour, roll in the beaten egg, and finally roll in the breadcrumbs. Set aside until all of the risotto has been used.
- Heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350º F. Add the risotto balls, turning often so they brown evenly for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oil and place on paper towel lined plate.
- Transfer to a serving dish, place on a bed of tomato sauce and garnish with basil.
To serve later, place the arancini on a baking sheet and re-heat in the oven at 400º F for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.