Makes 4 burgers or 6 sliders
|⅓ cup||Pastene White Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed|
|¼ cup||Pastene Plain Breadcrumbs|
|1 Tbsp||Pastene Grated Parmesan Cheese|
|1 Tbsp||red onion, minced, plus more sliced as topping|
|¾ tsp||Pastene Minced Garlic|
|2 tsp||Hot Crushed Peppers|
|2 Tbsp||Italian parsley, minced|
|3||Pastene Sundried Tomatoes, minced|
|¼ tsp||Pastene Capers, minced|
|1||5 oz can Pastene Tuna|
|Pastene Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|Pastene Basil Pesto, for topping|
|Mayo, for topping|
Prep time: 40 minutes | Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- In a medium bowl, mash rinsed beans well with a fork.
- Add breadcrumbs, cheese, onion, garlic, peppers, egg, tomatoes, parsley and capers and blend well with a rubber spatula and then add tuna. Mix to combine.
- Use a 1/3 cup measure to scoop the mix into four portions. Lightly wet hands then shape each into a flat patty shape. Chill patties for 30 minutes. This allows breadcrumbs to absorb the flavors of the other ingredients.
- On the stovetop: Preheat cast iron or non-stick skillet, to medium-high. Add oil, reduce to medium. Oil should shimmer, not smoke. Carefully transfer patties to the pan. Fry 3-4 minutes on each side. A wide spatula will make turning the burgers easier.
- In the oven: Place a cookie sheet or a cast iron pan in the oven while preheating to 375º F. When preheated, remove the pan, add oil, transfer patties to the pan. Bake for 7 minutes on one side, remove the pan, flip the burgers and cook for another 7 minutes.
- Mix pesto and mayo to taste and place a dollop on top of each burger.
- Add tomato, lettuce and sliced onions to each bun.
- Serve with Pastene Hot Garden salad and chips on the side.