Makes 4 burgers or 6 sliders
|1/3 cup||Pastene White Kidney Beans, washed and drained, mash with fork.|
|¼ cup||Pastene Plain Breadcrumbs, Italian or plain|
|1 Tbsp||Pastene Grated Romano or Parmesan|
|1 Tbsp||grated red onion (about ¼ of a large onion, use a Microplane or box grater, or finely dice) plus more sliced as burger topping|
|3-4||Pastene Sundried Tomatoes, minced|
|¾ tsp||Pastene Minced Garlic|
|2 tsp||crushed red pepper flakes|
|2 Tbsp||minced fresh parsley|
|¼ tsp||Pastene Capers minced|
|1 (5 oz) can||Pastene Skipjack Tuna|
|Pastene Pignoli (Pine Nuts), optional|
|Pastene Basil Pesto|
|Lettuce, tomato, onion, buns|
|Pastene Red Wine Vinegar, optional|
|Pastene Hot Garden Salad, optional|
- In a medium bowl, mash beans well with a fork.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except tuna. Blend well with a fork or rubber spatula until you have an emulsified mix.
- Add tuna mix to combine well.
Optional: Pulse pine nuts and breadcrumbs in a spice grinder or blender. Set aside.
- Use a 1/3 C measure to scoop the mix into four scoops. Lightly wet hands then shape each into a flat patty shape. Chill patties for 30 minutes. This allows breadcrumbs to absorb the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Set up your condiment platter: slice some farm-fresh tomatoes or marinate slices of store-bought fresh in a dash of red wine vinegar and olive oil.
- Mix some pesto with a bit of mayo. Slice some onions thinly. Rinse and spin-dry lettuce.
To cook patties:
- On the stovetop:
Preheat cast iron or non-stick skillet, to medium-high. Add about 4 tablespoons olive oil, reduce to medium. Oil It should shimmer, not smoke. Carefully transfer patties to the pan. Fry 3-4 minutes on each side. A fish spatula or wide spatula will make turning the burgers easier. (If you use the pine nut + breadcrumb coat, use lower heat.)
- Optional: place pine nuts + breadcrumb mixture on a plate, gently press patties into this crumb mix. This coating creates a little crust which is nice, but not necessary. If using, lower heat for cooking.
- Place a cookie sheet or a cast iron pan in a 375º oven (350º if crumb-coated). When preheated, carefully remove from oven with oven mitts, add oil, transfer patties to the pan. Return to oven bake for 7 minutes on one side, then 7 on the other.
- Place lettuce on a bun, top with burger, add sliced onions and add pesto-mayo as you wish. Serve with a little Hot Garden salad and chips on the side.