|1 lb||ground beef|
|1 lb||sweet Italian sausage|
|1-2 Tbsp||Pastene Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1||large white onion, finely chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Pastene Minced Garlic|
|5 Tbsp||Pastene Tomato Paste|
|2 tsp||dried oregano|
|2 tsp||dried basil|
|1 cup||red wine|
|2||28 oz cans Pastene San Marzano D.O.P Tomatoes|
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 2 -2 ½ hours
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and brown. Use a large slotted spoon to break up the meat. Remove ground meat to a medium-sized bowl.
- Remove sausage from casing and add to the pot breaking up the meat as you brown it. Remove the sausage and add it to the bowl containing the ground beef.
- Next, if there is very little or no fat from the meat, add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pot.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add onions. Cook until translucent then add in minced garlic and tomato paste. Add the ground beef and sausage and saute for one minute.
- Add the oregano, basil, salt and pepper, and continue to cook for several minutes on med low heat. Increase the heat to medium and add red wine. Stir, scraping the bottom of the pot and cook gently for 2 to 3 minutes until alcohol has evaporated and mixture is slightly thickened.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot and stir well. Break up the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Bring the sauce to a slow boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally. Skim foam, if necessary. After simmering for an hour, taste sauce and add additional salt if needed. Continue to simmer for one more hour.
- Serve over your favorite Pastene pasta.