|1 lb||ground beef|
|1 lb||sweet Italian sausage|
|1-2 Tbsp||Pastene Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1||large white onion, finely chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Pastene Minced Garlic|
|5 Tbsp||Pastene Tomato Paste|
|2 tsp||dried oregano|
|2 tsp||dried basil|
|1 cup||red wine|
|2||28 oz cans Pastene San Marzano D.O.P Tomatoes|
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and use a wooden spoon to break up the meat as it browns. Once brown, remove the meat and set aside.
- Cut the casing off the sausage and add to the same pan. Once brown, remove the sausage and combine with beef.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook onions until translucent. Add the garlic, tomato paste, and meats and sauté for one minute. Add the oregano, basil, salt, and pepper, cooking for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium and add red wine to deglaze the pan. Stir, scraping the bottom of the pan and cook gently for 2 to 3 minutes until alcohol has evaporated and mixture is slightly thickened.
- Add the tomatoes and break them up with the back of a wooden spoon as the cook. Bring the sauce to a slow boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally. After an hour, taste the sauce and add additional salt, if needed. Continue to simmer for one more hour.
- Serve over your favorite pasta.